For National Forensic Science Week, we recognize the importance of forensic science research and development in improving our criminal justice system. NIJ’s forensic science research and development program focuses on basic and applied scientific research with the intent to:
- Direct findings of basic scientific research in broader scientific fields applicable to forensic science.
- Apply forensic science research to the development of highly discriminating, accurate, reliable, cost-effective, rapid methods for the identification, analysis and interpretation of physical evidence.
- Expand the scientific basis of forensic methods.
- Produce useful materials, devices, systems or methods that have the potential for forensic application.
- Increase the body of knowledge to guide and inform forensic science policy and practice.
Learn more about how NIJ invests in forensic science research and development.