Aviation Technology Technical Working Group: Helping to Set Program Priorities and Identifying Operational Needs
NIJ's aviation portfolio is guided by a 15-member technology working group (TWG) comprising experienced practitioners from
local, state, tribal and federal agencies and laboratories. Members help NIJ to set program priorities and develop a research
The TWG has identified the following program priorities, which NIJ considers in planning for the program:
- Test and evaluate various aircraft.
- Test and evaluate low-cost unmanned aircraft systems.
- Test and evaluate supporting aviation technologies (e.g., cameras, sensors).
- Develop low-cost aerostats (e.g., hot air balloons, airships, moored balloons).
- Develop new technologies (e.g., green aircraft).
- Train and educate law enforcement on using aviation technology.
- Establish best practices and guidelines for using and acquiring aviation technology.
- Establish safety guidelines.
- Develop guidelines to assist law enforcement with the administrative aspects of an aviation unit.
Date Created: February 27, 2012