e-Learning has substantial benefits and offers unique opportunities for people who might otherwise have limited access to education and training. It incorporates innovative and creative approaches to instruction and provides unprecedented access to resources and information.
Some of the benefits are summarized below:
- e-Learning is student centered. The learner is the core of any e-Learning system. Materials and activities are designed with the needs and interests of the learner in mind. Students assume control of their learning experience and use it to suit their specific needs.
- e-Learning is self-directed and self-paced. Students control the amount of time spent on a particular topic. This allows learners to skip material they already understand or to spend additional time on difficult areas. This individualized approach usually allows learners to complete their education and training faster than in traditional courses.
- e-Learning is interactive and hands-on. The use of a variety of multimedia increases student involvement and reinforces the learning experience. This leads to increased retention and a stronger grasp of the subject at hand.
- e-Learning is flexible. Learning can take place anytime and anywhere, as long as the necessary equipment is available. The logistics and expense of face-to-face education and training can be extremely limiting when students are separated by distance.
- e-Learning also allows physically or otherwise challenged students to more fully participate.
- e-Learning provides consistent and effective training. All of the target learners can participate simultaneously and receive the same information, reducing the variability introduced through multiple sessions in different locations.