Becoming a Peer Reviewer for NIJ
School Safety Reviewers
NIJ is seeking peer reviewers for the forthcoming School Safety Solicitations.
NIJ draws reviewers for both its ad hoc and standing review panels from diverse backgrounds and regions who have relevant expertise and experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Crime control and prevention research.
- Criminology, law enforcement or corrections.
- DNA analysis, research and development.
- Information and sensor technologies.
- Investigative and forensic science and technology.
- Justice systems research.
- Law enforcement technologies.
- Violence and victimization research.
Some reviews are conducted remotely, whereas others involve in-person meetings. Reviewers score 10 to 15 applications within a two-to-four-week period. Before beginning their work, reviewers must participate in an orientation telephone call, which covers the role and responsibilities of the reviewers and the background and purpose of the grant program under review.
Participants receive $125 for each application reviewed.
NIJ selects panelists based on research and practical experience in their areas of expertise. The NIJ Consultant Information Database is one source that we use to identify potential panelists. We invite researchers and practitioners to register on NIJ's Consultant Information SystemExit Notice. Thank you for your interest in NIJ's research programs.
Date Modified: November 18, 2014.